Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Sketchbook Round-Up: Volume 10


Sketchbook Round-Up: Volume 10 | Yeti Crafts
In which I bang my head against my own laziness and beg for advice.


Follow my relatively frequent sketching and other creative endeavors on Instagram!

How do you get yourself to do things you know you should do but don't want to?  I genuinely want to know. I have a love/hate relationship with drawing that I've discussed in depth in these sketchbook posts, and I'm beginning to think I just don't have any discipline or willpower or whatever at all.  

To recap - I stopped drawing after art school because I'd started to associate creativity with competition and drudgery.  When I started drawing again (ten years later) my skills had shriveled up and I was frustrated with what I was producing.  I resolved to practice every day in order to (at the very least) get back to where I was in college.  I needed to draw to get better at drawing, but I didn't want to because what I was producing wasn't very good because I need practice - and so on ad infinitum. 

I keep trying to bring myself back to daily sketching, but stuff keeps happening - injury, illness, vacation, the Pretty Little Liars mid-season finale... On any given day I can come up with a litany of excuses, (or reasons even) to not draw.  Where is that magic thing that makes people do things for good, solid, long-term reasons?  I can't get past the not-wanting-to, even though I'm so much happier when I do.  

In summary (as per usual) - waaaaah!

No comments:

Post a Comment